Shep The Talking Dog

Shep The Talking Dog

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Transition This




Transition This

   I got loose a couple of weeks ago…..err went on an unscheduled walk I should say and decided to head for a quiet little spot I know. Nice big wall to mark my territory on and a nice grassy strip should I decide to go for the full experience.
   To my shock and horror I discovered a roving band of (or one really, really big) tagger had tagged this beautiful wall and painted it in circus tent style colours. This little strip of lawn and wall along side of the TTC bus barns on Coxwell Ave. just below Danforth had been turned into an eye sore of monumental proportions. As I lifted my leg to this sea of turquoise and blue I realized the paint was still wet and got some on my foot. (There’s an art to peeing while standing on three legs and if you don’t think so just try it sometime.)
   Who would do such a thing? Then I noticed the word sort of half painted “Transitions” That explained a lot, Transition is a lefty key word like “sustainability” or “safe space” or “LGBTQ Community”. Did a wondering troupe of artistic transvestites do this to my beautiful wall??? What would be the use of peeing on this wall now? Instead of smelling my magnificent sent high up on this wall all you could smell now would be some transitional transvestite paint job?
   What was the real message behind this act of state sponsored vandalism? Make no mistake; this was a message in six foot high letters to this quiet neighborhood of single family homes, children and dogs. There’s a transition coming. On a wall within direct sight of three schools and surrounded by family homes somebody was letting these people know that even more changes were coming.
   In the last 20 years within two blocks of this wall there has been a large block of social housing built less than two blocks away and a large apartment building for the disabled build right next to this wall and the TTC had sold off part of the bus barn property which was developed as cheap row houses that were quickly sold off to new immigrants. How much more “Transition” was this east end neighborhood in for? Well for one, an art project that will make the local residents feel like they have to walk through the carnival to get to the subway station every morning. I’m not kidding here folks, while lifting my leg to this wall I half expected that Rosie the tattooed lady and the dog faced boy would jump out at me.
   As much as this is a really bad city sponsored art project it is also a warning to the people who live within sight of this ugly act of vandalism. That they are not yet finished socializing your neighborhood.
    The only thing I can do about it at this point is to alert my colleagues at the paper to dig into this story a little more and chase down some of the squirrels around here, You got way too many infesting this hood. Oh I also dropped a turd right under the “T” Thought that was pretty cool, please feel free to come by and sniff it.  

Shep The Talking Dog
Oct 2015









No comments:

Post a Comment